Molten lava cake
It's that time of the year when love is in the air, and what's better to celebrate love for others and yourself, with this super chocolate molten lava cake made with our Healthy Crunch Chocolate Seed Butter. Plus, this recipe is Keto and low in sugar, using Keto-friendly sweeteners including monk fruit / erythritol. Did we also mention this recipe is vegan, gluten-free, allergen-friendly, and an option for being grain-free. Yes, you can have your cake and feel good about enjoying a better for you dessert! This recipe is super easy to make, plus the wow factor when you make that first cut into this dessert, having the chocolate pour out, is the best. We hope you can enjoy this sweet treat this Valentine's Day.
3 ounces dairy-free dark chocolate (more than 85%)
3 ounces vegan butter, out of the fridge for 1 hour, or dairy-free butter
3 flax eggs (3 tbsp ground flax + 7.5 tbsp water)
1/3 cup eryrthritol or Monk fruit
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground espresso
3 tbsp gluten-free all purpose flour or coconut flower
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 4 little ramekins (we used 4 oz ramekins) with a bit of butter. Set aside.
- Combine flax seed and water for flax eggs in bowl. Set aside.
- Place dark chocolate in medium sauce pan . Melt on low heat, stirring all the time to avoid the chocolate to burn. When the chocolate and butter are melted, remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar-free sweetener together. Note: use 1/3 cup sweetener if your chocolate is unsweetened or 99%, otherwise if you are using stevia-sweetened chocolate or 85% cocoa chocolate, use only 1/4 cup sugar-free sweetener.
- Stir in the vanilla, ground espresso, flour and Healthy Crunch Chocolate Seed Butter.
- Gently pour the melted chocolate into the egg mixture, stirring at the same time to form the cake batter.
- Fill the 4 ramekins evenly to make sure they bake at the same speed.
- Place the ramekin onto a baking tray and bring the tray into the oven.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes. The trick to creating a runny, lava center is to undercook the cake. After 9 minutes, you should have a runny lava cake, after 10 minutes a molten lava cake, and after 12 minutes a gooey chocolate cake. In any case, you can eat the cake but for a lava center, you must take it off the oven when the center of the cake jiggle and the border are slightly set. Simply practice to learn how long you need to bake your lava cake to reach your favorite texture.
- Cool 2-3 minutes in the ramekin before serving - note that the cake keeps baking slightly when it cools down as the ramekin is hot. That is why you must remove the lava cake from the oven when the center jiggles to enjoy a runny lava cake.
- Eat directly in the ramekin with a scoop of sugar-free vanilla ice cream on the side or upside down on a plate (careful the cake may break if its centre is very runny).
We hope you enjoy this recipe! Leave a comment to let us know if you enjoyed this recipe. Please tag @healthycrunch and post a pic of you enjoying this recipe.